Tuesday, July 24, 2007

defining wealth in africa

Okay, so we went to Lake Malawi this past weekend for a retreat with our teams – it was gorgeous! We took a boat out to an island and went snorkeling and cliff diving! It was incredible, don’t worry about me guys, loving the orphans in Africa is a blast! I have to say though, it messes with your mind to go back and forth between such poverty and such wealth. I have gotten better with the struggle. It seems there are pros and cons in every place and I must say the same with poverty and wealth, it seems as if it is a matter of perspective. I love the freedom that financial wealth has given me yet I find there is something in the African people that I long for, something that no American I know can afford....I sat in a village today shucking maiz with the Malawian women and there laughter filled the lulls of our limited conversation - I think I laughed more with them than I have for a long time in America. My friend told me the other day that he smiles more here than he ever has, really smiling...that is what I find here, they smile from the depths of their hearts and I am touched in a place I haven't been touched when I am home in the states. How can that be...the richest country can't offer me what the poorest has lavished upon me?

building a definition of wealth.

all my love

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cre, hello my darling... it sounds as if you are having an amazing time... I am so very very very happy. My aunt Jan Kleck knows a nurse that is in Malawi this summer, do you know Korey Christian? She is a nurse from North Carolina... just wondering... I miss you tons and will be very excited to hug you once again. All my love to you... tones