Monday, August 20, 2007

Give them the world


I was probably no older than 8 when my aunt Jinx gave me a world map for Christmas. Don’t ever say I didn’t give you anything, I gave you the world! I didn’t really understand it, but she and my aunt Nicole did take me and Valeska on a trip to Europe that summer. Something came alive in me when I would travel, the countries and the cultures became my favorite teacher – I began to see and learn things that I would have never known.

Thus in our small village of Chiwengo this summer we built a library for the children we taught. The outside of the library has an empty wall which I decided needed some livening up…thus I gave the children what my aunt gave me….the world! It was my favorite contribution – a room full of books and a wall with the world! Check out the picture!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is amazing... what a truly life-changing gift!!! - tones

Anonymous said...

That is incredible, Christy! it brought me to tears. Am I going to be seeing you in College Station during the TX month?

love you
Jenni

Anonymous said...

Christy,

It was SO great to see you in Malawi!! Can't wait for you to get home, and hear more. I got some great shots of you with kids and you and Amber.

~Jesse

www.jatoafrica.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Christy-phone Mom with your return flight time and date.

Anonymous said...

All your stories remind me of Mary Slessor's. I just finished her book about all of her adventures in Africa, so parallel!