Friday, June 22, 2007

Lilongwe....

Well we just took a long drive through the village to buy coal - the children was surrounding me as we bargained (when I say we I mean the driver!) they were so precious and I could not understand a word they said, my closest exchange was giving a bottle cap to a 6 yr. old child who was collecting them - he might be my boyfriend now, I wouldn't even know!)

As we drove out of the city, the sun setting on all of the women carrying baskets and wood on their heads. Babies carried on the backs of babies was a sobering sight, but all so beautiful and in a weird way I feel at home here. Wzamba, they call me, which means foreigner but for me, I feel known....I actually feel more safe in the village than I do at the base with our staff.

I will write as much as I can now but once I am in Chiwengo I will not have internet, please just pray for me as I am excited but my heart doesn't feel fully with me...please pray that I will leave in peace, fully surrendered.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

KiaOra from Aotearoa
good to read that you have arrived safely.Hopefully you & the others
won't get sick.I remember using cold buckets for bathing in Africa.Its one of those things in life one can appreciate when you get back to Western culture.
Keep up the awesome work & commitment.God Bless from NZ : - )

Anonymous said...

Christy,
I am so excited for you, for what God has for you this summer, for the children you'll be loving on and the overall experience.
May the Lord meet every need and bless you in an abundance of His grace and peace.
I love you, sister!
Linda